Christians and Being Single
Many Christians have a distorted view of singleness. If you’re reading this, don’t think you’re disqualified. Why are you single right now? Maybe not because God is “preparing you for your spouse”. Maybe you should consider singleness as a viable option for the rest of your life. Truly heed the words of the Apostle Paul:
I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs —how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband.I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.
-1 Corinthians 7:32-35
Paul isn’t just saying being unmarried is a good thing. He seems to be making the argument that being single is the better thing because your attention and interests are undivided. Don’t think I’m here to bash marriage - it’s human image of Christ’s relationship to the Church - but don’t fail to consider Paul’s words.
Many of you assume that you will be married without even giving singleness later in life as an option. Let me ask you this: Would you sacrifice not being in a marriage to another human being if that was God’s will?
This is one area where I am amazed at some of our Catholic brothers and sisters and their total devotion to the Lord - to live a life married to Christ. A life that is fully devoted to the Lord’s affairs. Don’t fall into the trap of making God your Cosmic Matchmaker.
42 Notes/ Hide
- swavesswandess14 reblogged this from thepoorinspirit
- swavesswandess14 likes this
- brokenkneeandruineddreams likes this
- angrydamncornapple likes this
- owlheartkeyslock likes this
- ulieja likes this
- mikeclevenger likes this
- hallelu likes this
- livingxvxfaith likes this
- ifmyheartwereahouseyoudbehome said: I agree. I’m tired of being teased in church circles as a single twenty-something, it’s embarrassing and very frustrating. There is a pervading sense in society, especially in church that, of singleness and marriage, marriage is better. Not true.
- countrymusiclover19 likes this
- erchamion reblogged this from thepoorinspirit
- as-a-deer likes this
- allheartmindsoul likes this
- denyandfollow likes this
- gentilenextdoor likes this
- beingjinxed likes this
- iwanttobethemoon likes this
- queenoftheicecream likes this
- omg-itsamanda reblogged this from thepoorinspirit
- everydaylizz likes this
- keeppressingforward likes this
- livingthestunntastiicaldream likes this
- jack-flack likes this
- mikestoleyobike likes this
- thepoorinspirit posted this